Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Wizard (1989)

I've been wanting to watch this for quite awhile since I heard about it on theangryideogamevnerd.  I was going into it with high hopes or anything.  Its not exactly critically acclaimed, but I definitely expected to enjoy it since I am a video game junkie and its basically about Nintendo.  This I also watched a few days ago and am now getting around to writing about it.

A boy and his two friends run away from home and hitch cross country to compete in the ultimate video game championship.

24/50 Eggs

So, I heard courtesy of TheAngryVideoGameNerd how this movie was basically a promotional movie paid for by Nintendo.  I was, however, surprised at how much this was true.  First point worth noting is the film is your typical cheesy written movie made in the 80s.  With Fred Savage and Christian Slater, I expected at least a small amount of decent acting, but.... no.  The plot was pretty lame, but the basic fact that video games were involved made it mildly interesting.  Yes, another partial statement made by me.  On top of everything mentioned the continuity issues in the film and the authenticity of the Nintendo information provided just made me hate it more.  A simple thing as showing level 3 and calling it level 2 irks me a little, I mean its not like the game was still in production.  It was slated to come out within a few months of the movie release, they had to have level 2 finished.  I don't know maybe it's little things that I shouldn't worry about, but I do.  Chances are you shouldn't watch it.

Also, for anyone who knows what the Power Glove is, comparing how well it actually performs to the pure epic awesomeness the movie tries to portray is pretty hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment