Sunday, June 12, 2011

1900 (1974)

As I've noted in a few recent posts, I've had 1900 for a while but the 5 and half hour run-time has turned me off on trying to watch it.  I did finally get around to it but I stretched it over two days, which I don't see as a problem.  The movie really is like three movies put together.  Watching LotR or either one of the Star Wars series would be the same thing.  Well maybe not the "SAME" thing, but close.  I finished it up yesterday and now am getting around to writing a review on it.

1900 follows the lives of two boys, born on the same day, from 1900 to 1945, one a landowner, one a day-laborer working on the land owned by the landowner.  It is a strong graphic depiction of fascism, communism, and class systems in Italy during the 1900 to 1945 time period.

41/50 Eggs

Due to the length of the film, I feel I need to be a little lenient when it comes to small errors.  I also think the first question you should ask is "How bad was the editing for the film to be that long".  I'd like to say that this film was way too long and that parts should be taken out, but I can't.  Perhaps the plot was a bad choice or atleast an endeavor that couldn't be perfectly executed but in my opinion the whole movie was necessary.  To take anything out would have taken away from the film.  Both Robert De Niro and Donald Sutherland's performances are exquisite.  They're powerful. believable, and shocking, all necessary for such a painfully graphic historical depiction.  Hands down though, the inspirational acting of Gerard Depardieu as Olmo, the voice of the revolution, was the shining sun.  Every seen he was in was incredible.   Without him the film would have faltered.

The setting of the film was also quite beautiful.  I like the tactic of making the villa more gloomy as it became more and more fascist.  It helped show the personality and spirits of the laborers.  I have to make a note that there's no way without CGI you could do the "Communists are like pussy cats" scene nowadays and it be legal.  If your reading this and want to the see the scene, but not the movie, then youtube the above quotes and 1900, beware to the cat lover though.                   

No comments:

Post a Comment