Sunday, June 19, 2011

Pulp Fiction (1994)

Not really sure why I decided to watch Pulp Fiction again today.  I think I was thirsting for some Samuel L. and this is one of the only movies I have readily available, up to the standards with him in it.  I've seen it quite a few times and do own it, but even though I am Tarantino fan don't rave about it like most of his fans do.

The lives of two mob hit men, a boxer, a gangster's wife, and a pair of diner bandits intertwine in four tales of violence and redemption.

41/50 Eggs

Tarantino has probably seen the entire list of 1001 movies you should see before you die, plus any other list one would create of movies to watch.  Because of this he has a bevy of scenes that references or nods in his films.  In a way I look at it as being quite unoriginal, but I also admire the amount of films that he has scene and the way he makes them his own.  While there are quite a few unoriginal bits in Pulp Fiction, which to the non-avid movie watcher seem like a nuance, there are also a lot of newly created memorable quotes and scenes courtesy of Tarantino himself.  The scene where Tarantino himself talks to Jackson and Travolta is probably my favorite scene.  One thing I really admire is the casting Tarantino does.  The only poorly cast person was the Mallory character, I mean Yolanda, sorry couldn't help myself.  I understand the crazy, but I think more comical crazy not criminal crazy.  The acting I realize is supposed to seem rash, after all they are robbing a restaurant, stupid idiots, but it doesn't seem realistic.  Even considering this is a Tarantino film, I thought it felt forced.

As for the plot in general, I noted back in the Traffic review that making a fragmented plot automatically makes it better, or at least gives it a better chance.  The only thing is avoiding a drawn out feeling and making sure everything wraps up tidy, either good or bad.  The wrapping up is great, all the loose ends tied, extremely well executed.  As for the pace, I note my rule of never giving subtitles or chapters, whether narrated or typed, unless the plots are completely and it is necessary.  I can't describe the precise psychology behind why this makes a movie seem longer than it is, but it always does.  That, plus the fact that the dialogue heavy scenes Tarantino always does, make the pace for Pulp Fiction feel considerably long.  Oh yeah, and its 2 and a half hours.  The plot itself is pretty entertaining, though I can't say the whole pawn shop part was pleasant or 100% necessary.  That is, however, Tarantino's choice, and while I do make my complaint, in the end it was successful in its intentions.  I also don't see the whole Vincent and Maurice's wife go on a date scene as being relevant to the story line.  Tarantino does things for weird reasons, maybe I don't see it, but being that the EpiPen scene is pretty much the most famous one in the movie it is now not without merit, eh.

I realize I'm being overly hard on Pulp Fiction, but as you can see by the score, I did give it a 41.  I am just trying to be a little more detailed in my reviews from now on.        

No comments:

Post a Comment