Sunday, June 12, 2011

Super 8 (2011)

Was planning on seeing this Saturday night, but as I mentioned before I wasn't feeling to well.  Woke up today, went for a run, got some yard work done, and then me and the moms went to Bowtie for a matinee of Super 8.  The 7.50 price is still pretty steep, but its better than 11.

After witnessing a mysterious train crash, a group of friends in the summer of 1979 begin noticing strange happenings going around in their small town, and begin to investigate into the creepy phenomenon.

41/50 Eggs


I admit I may have read a few too many reviews before seeing the film.  It is an unfortunate problem that I sometimes find myself committing.  Going in I had a lot of doubts due to the low performance of Spielberg over the last few years, but J.J. Abrahms was enough for me to want to see it in theaters.  I'm very glad I did. The movie was mad as an homage to Spielberg's early days.  Of the monster movies of ye old times, and that is exactly what it is.  The almost overdone comedic relief brought by the kids seals the preferred emotion of joy that Abrahms hopes to create, rather than the fear that most would expect in a monster movie.  I really enjoyed it, and am glad I saw it in theaters.  I can't say was surprised, since I did read the reviews, but the performances by the kid actors were very solid.  Solid enough to carry a big budget movie like this.  The only draw back was the ending.  In my opinion, it was quite as bad as some critics are making it out to be.  Did it take away from the movie? Yes.  Did it ruin the movie? No.  It felt like a cop out, which left some holes in the plot.  Needless to say, as a wannabe filmmaker, I would offer a few suggestions, but I won't mention them here.  Even with the comment about the ending, I still think you should spend your money in the theater and go see it.        

No comments:

Post a Comment