Saturday, June 4, 2011

Win Win (2011)

Had a pretty long day, and the moms has gone back east to pick up some things so I have the house alone for the night.  Figured I'd get relaxed and watch me a movie.  I really wanted to watch this when it came out, but it was outside the spectrum of my relatives tastes.  Now that it's available online I jumped at the chance to watch it.

Disheartened attorney Mike Flaherty, who moonlights as a high school wrestling coach, stumbles across a star athlete through some questionable business dealings while trying to support his family. Just as it looks like he will get a double payday, the boy's mother shows up fresh from rehab and flat broke, threatening to derail everything.

40/50 Eggs

Win Win is in one word balanced.  The film is an ironic comedy in that what you don't expect to be funny, is. And you've got lots of tender heart-warming moments accompanying the complications.  It is rather predictable and follows the typical Good - Bad - Good roller coaster near the end of the film, but don't let that take to much a way.  The bond formed between Kyle and Mike is strong and believable, as we begin to identify with Mike's character really taking Kyle on as his son.  I'm on the fence on how well the role of Kyle was acted though.  Part of me wants to praise it, but the lack of emotion needed to perform the role makes me unsure whether its worthy.  Giamatti is cast well for the lead as the down on his luck lawyer, with a hope for a better life and gives the film a great hear-warming feel.  I don't think it's a movie for everyone, but if the plot interests you and your not in desperate need of high-octane action it won't disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment