Saturday, June 18, 2011

Green Lantern (2011)

I wasn't nearly as excited for this movie, as I think most people were.  However, it did come available, practically on the day it came out, online and, being that it was free, I figured I'd watch it.  Green Lantern is probably one of the cooler superheroes, at least in my opinion, I mean he basically can create anything as long as he has a ring on, although I do admit pictures of him carrying the lantern are kinda lame looking.

A test pilot is granted a mystical green ring that bestows him with otherworldly powers, as well as membership into an intergalactic squadron tasked with keeping peace within the universe.  After being doubted by the other green lanterns, he returns to Earth where he is wrapped up in a plot to overthrow the intergalactic squadron.

29/50 Eggs

Even though I went in with low expectations, this movie still undershot.  Let me first say that originally the lead role was cast for Bradley Cooper, at least as far as I heard, and when I heard that I was pretty excited about the film.  As I stated above Green Lantern is one of my favorite superheroes so I'm somewhat familiar with and Bradley Cooper would've been a perfect match.  Unfortunately, Ryan Reynolds is not.  Green Lantern is like all superhero movies in that it must hit all genres of comedy, romance, action, kid's drama, and adult drama.  You could say a superhero movie is generally a jack of all trades.  Unfortunately in the movie world a jack of all trades "ain't much o'nuttin'".  I realize that maybe not everyone liked Watchmen, but I feel 10 years from now people may still mention that.  Perhaps everyone just hopes to be the next Ironman success.  So as for the movie, like I said, Ryan Reynolds was a poor cast for the part.  I did like Blake Lively as the love interest though, she acted well, the chemistry was good, definitely better than Thor, not to mention the eye candy factor.  It was a pretty film, although I lost a little of that in the quality, but I'll assume it was nice.  As for the plot well..... the green lantern is cool, and the first half of the movie they describe the origination of green lantern, easy enough, therefore first half of movie pretty good.  The second half practically tanked like the Titanic.  The plot was weak, writing was REALLY cheesy, and the action wasn't great.  I realize action sequences take money, but its green lantern.  He can create any structure or system or anything in defense or attack.  Imagine the possibilities for a fight sequence.  If they would've gone above and beyond in this respect I could have looked off some of the other flaws, but they took the easy way out.  I will say Sarsgaard who contributed a lot to the second half of the film was great.  Both in the casting and the acting.  I think if you really want to watch it wait till you can redbox it, watch it with a friend, and make them pay for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment