Sunday, June 12, 2011

Finding Forrester (2000)

Watched this Saturday night with the moms.  We were planning on going to see Super 8, but I wasn't feeling too well and I also wasn't sure it was quite worth playing $11 dollars to go see it.  Yes I am finally paying to go see a movie in theaters.  Well Super 8 had to wait and instead I picked this out of movies I own to watch.  I think my mom had seen it before, but it had been a little while.  I enjoyed it and I think she did too.

A black American teenager is invited into a prestigious private high school. By chance, Jamal befriends a reclusive writer, William Forrester, through whom he refines his natural talent for writing and comes to terms with his identity.


43/50 Eggs


This is one of my favorite Sean Connery movies.  I never really thought he was that great.  I think most people think of him as they do Sylvester Stalone, or Jean-Claude Van Damm, maybe with a little more respect.  I apologize if I offend any avid Connery fans, but I've never been wowed by his amazing acting ability.  However, having said that, this role is pretty powerful.  Aside from the Untouchables, anyone who is reading this who would like to suggest a role that exemplifies his greatness please do, and don't say bond.  Okay so my mild-manor rant aside, back to Finding Forrester.  A point worth making, that I didn't realize, is that the movie is actually directed by Gus Van Sant.  Normally Van Sant takes it just a hair to independent, making it difficult to be that perfect level of "entertaining" that a 50/50 should have.  However, in this one he holds back just enough while still giving us the cinematographic effects and music that make his films great.  The plot itself makes for eloquent lines of inspiration and beauty, which give the film admirable character.  I definitely suggest it.        

No comments:

Post a Comment