Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Naked Lunch (1991)

This is another off the list of controversial flicks I'm trying to watch.  I liked Videodrome so I figured I would pick another one of Cronenberg's that was available online.  I started it on Monday but didn't get around to finishing it until today.

After developing an addiction to the substance he uses to kill bugs, an exterminator accidentally murders his wife and becomes involved in a secret government plot being orchestrated by giant bugs in an Islamic port town in Africa.

36/50

So, wow, yea.... drug trip much.  The film is incredibly grotesque, however, not in any overly perverse or gory way.  My fear of large bugs intensified the effect.  I was watching the film on my computer and at one point moved it away from my face because the bugs were creeping me out too much.  I can't say I truly understood the movie or at least if I did, I don't agree with the point Cronenberg is trying to make.  Editing and directing are both par with Cronenberg's work, that means great.  The casting was accurate, especially for Weller.  I've only seen him in Dexter, that I can remember, but the roles compare well.  Not really any negatives except that the ending didn't resolve the story like I expected it to.  I don't know, maybe I missed something, drug trip movies can be very hard to follow.              

No comments:

Post a Comment