Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Dinky (1935)

Lucky enough for me the cable package I have includes TCM, which means about 80% of the time there's a movie on I haven't seen.  This one seems interesting enough.

Dinky is a young boy around the age of 10 going to an elite military school. When his mother is sentenced to 2 years for fraud, Dinky is shunned by the other boys causing him to move-in to the orphanage next door.

29/50 eggs

I feel indifferent about the movie.  I enjoyed it, however at no point did I feel it went above any expectations.  Something can be said for the kids acting abilities.  One expects children in an orphanage to behave like children, however, there's an air to there mannerisms similiar to noir.  Whether it's planned or not it does elevate their performance.  Unfortunately, the movie is riddled with cliches and makes the story wholesome but a tad unbelievable.  The runtime is also only 65 minutes, which easily could have been extended with a few more scenes, as the film seems rushed.  I assume that with the plot, simple cliches, and short runtime the film was probably meant for a young audience, but I'm unaware if that's true.  I can't see the opportunity of watching it being readily available, nor would I recommend going out of your way to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment