Friday, May 13, 2011

Murder at the Gallop (1963)

They seem to be doing a Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple marathon on TCM, so its plain to say that I'm in for as much as I can stand, which will probably mean this is my last one before I have to cook dinner.  Anywho, this plot I have not yet seen in another version, unlike the past film, and therefore will be most exciting, at least I'm hoping so.

In Murder at a Gallop, Miss Marple is at it again.   For those who don't know, Miss Marple is an older woman whose keen eye and experience from crime novels has given her the adept ability to investigate murders.  When a wealthy old man appears to have been "frightened to death" by a cat, Miss Marple suspects one of his four relatives, all heirs to his estate, of his murder.

33/50 Eggs

Okay, well perhaps there is a reason why I haven't seen another version of this plot yet.  I'm not saying it was bad by any means.  After all, it was a Miss Marple whodunit.  I just feel it didn't have all the bells and whistles you normally get in a Miss Marple flick.  I must regrettably say I didn't name the killer.  This is, perhaps, due to the lack of tricky clues which are meant to both help and hurt the viewer.  Generally I have the ability to see the deeper meaning in the clue, but with such a lack of clues it was rather difficult.  That aside I truly enjoyed it.  Hector played by Robert Morley was my favorite character.  His odd mix of charm and insight is the shining gleam in a whodunit created more by character development than by clues.  The music in the film was very good, and helped heighten the suspense of film.  Something that comes as great value, since the victims are supposed to be "frightened to death".  Same as the last Miss Marple I reviewed, I suggest this to anyone who can handle watching black and whites.      

No comments:

Post a Comment