Sunday, May 15, 2011

Source Code (2011)

Caught this after a pleasant evening at the VMFA.  It was kind of late, but I wasn't that tired so I decided I'd give this one a go.  I've heard it was pretty good and Jake Gyllenhaal normally doesn't disappoint.

An action thriller centered on a soldier who wakes up in the body of an unknown man and discovers he's part of a mission to find the bomber of a Chicago commuter train.  He has a fixed 8 minutes to enter a commuter on the train's conscience in order to prevent a possible second attack.  Each try gains him more knowledge in an effort to deduce the culprit.

36/50 Eggs

This film had a creative good whodunit plot.  It was a bit redundent like groundhog's day but I didn't see that as a problem as each time he re-entered the "unknown man" the 8 minutes varied quite a lot.  I will say, however, for an experienced moviegoer like myself I knew the bomber quite early in the film, and was annoyingly surprised that the protagonist couldn't come to the same reasoning.  Casting on the film was well done.  Michelle Monaghan plays a great emotionally heightened/surprised love interest, and  Jeffery Wright was perfect for the role of the head of the Source Code project, Dr. Rutledge.  It's tough for me to convey my views on the ending without out giving it away.  All I'll say is there was a bit too much Hollywood going on.  Making It a bit hard to fathom that people made the choices they made and things worked out the way they did.  Its definitely worth a rental.  Watch it and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment