Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Beastly (2011)

Admittedly I did watch this by choice.  My thinking was I can't have every movie I watch be mediocre and up.  There has to be a few bad ones.  When this become available online I thought "I do like the original Beauty and the Beast maybe it won't be to bad."



Beastly is a modern remake of Beauty and the Beast, which for the 1% of people who are reading this and don't know is an older Disney classic.  In the original, when a witch disguised as an old lady shows up at a prince's door, and he refuses to let her in, she casts a spell upon him where he will remain a beast if he doesn't find someone that truly loves him.  In Beastly, when the main character upsets the class wicken she puts basically the same curse upon him.



19/50 Eggs



"Best embrace the suck" is a line said about 5 times in the first 10 minutes.  Perhaps this is a motto of the film.  As in "you best embrace the suck cuz that's about all your going to get".  Going into this I was pretty sure I wasn't going to like it, but I tried my hardest to see the beauty in the ugly.  The writing and directing on the film really hurt it.  Its hard for me to understand why teenage movies nowadays are written so cliche and obvious.  Perhaps, that is the way its always been and I was too ignorant to see it at the time.  Movie makers must see viewers as being dumb and that they can't extrapolate meanings and feelings without the movie hitting us in the head with the idea.  And this sucks, because Beastly with some better writing could have been a fairly decent movie.  I would like to note that at times I did think the adaption of the old to the new wasn't bad.  However, it is hard to beat a dancing clock and candlestick.  I may be giving them too much credit but Alex Pettyfer and Vanessa Hudgens do have potential.  The casting is well done too, they are just plagued by the horrible writing.  If either of them gets a chance to get a role outside the realm of teenybop they may do well.  Neil Patrick Harris really can do no wrong.  His few moments, along with the maid's, are among the few good things in the movie.  I probably wouldn't recommend this to anyone, but I'm sure my 13 y/o cousin would more than likely enjoy it as would most young teens.

No comments:

Post a Comment