Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Last Waltz (1978)

I was just lounging around doing somethings on the computer when I saw Palladia was about to play The Last Waltz.  I actually own it on blu-ray but wasn't in the mood to go through the extensive trouble to put it in so I suffered through the commercials.

The Last Waltz for those who don't know is actually a concert movie produced by Martin Scorsese.  The Band plays their farewell concert with talents, such as Neil Young, Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton, and Bob Dylan, and chronicles times on the road that caused them to retire so early.  Originally I wasn't going to write a review for this since its more music than movie and is hard to address some directorial qualities that may be present in even non-fiction movies.  Alas, however, there are reasons while Scorsese is acclaimed for his concert films and therefore I decided to write something for it.  I must note that the Band is among my favorite musical performers and because of this I am partial to giving a higher score.  For this I am not going to give a score but just say that I thoroughly enjoy watching it every time.

The Band always seemed to me to be musicians before celebrities.  There's something in there demeanor and behavior that just says "We're here to play for your enjoyment."  How much choice Scorsese had on the location of the concert and the interviews I don't know, but both helped to maintain that basic, homey feeling you get when you listen to the Band's music.  Scorsese acts as the interviewer in the scenes between the songs and gives us entry to the life of a struggling band on the road.  The only qualm I do have is; who was the idiot that invited Joni Mitchell to be on the show.  Neil Young's "Helpless" is among the best of the performances, but halfway through, Mitchell's yelping that goes on in the background just ruins it.  Needless to say her solo performance of "Coyote" is also atrocious.   Their body language in the closing song when the full cast comes out, makes me think they were together as a couple at the time and somehow Joni convinced Neil it'd be a good idea.  A few funny notes, when "I Shall Be Realeased" plays look for Hawk next to Levon Helm(The Drummer).  Hawk just pretends to sing and sway around, does he think we can't see him?  Also in the closing credits song, Anyone think Robbie is compensating a little?

No comments:

Post a Comment