Friday, May 13, 2011

The Devil Is A Sissy (1936)

Caught this one on TCM this afternoon, while the meatloaf was on to cook.  They're doing a Jackie Cooper marathon today because he died a few days back.  I decided to watch it mainly because of the name.  I also haven't seen much of Mickey Rooney, and because he's somewhat of a prominent figure from time to time it peaked my interest.

A well-bred young English lad living in lower Manhattan tries to gain acceptance from his not-so-well-bred peers at school.  When one of his peers' dad dies, they hash a plan to get money for a tombstone.

35/50

It truly is remarkable how much better child actors from the past are then the ones of the present.  Both Jackie Cooper and Mickey Rooney were really good, but the role of Claude stole the show.  The film doesn't have much of a wow factor, apart from everything being spot on.  It's aimed for children, and contains a  great meaning, which doesn't hit you over the head like most kid's films nowadays.  There's not a whole lot I can say except that I really liked it.  I suggest it, if you can handle black and whites.

No comments:

Post a Comment