Friday, May 13, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (2010)

So, like I said in the last post, earlier today I picked up both this and No Strings Attached.  Even though I  wanted to rent Blue Valentine.  This is the first Harry Potter film I only saw once in the theaters.  I know. What a nerd!  So of course since I haven't seen it but once right when the movie came out, I was quick on the jump to watch it again.

As a note, before I begin my review, I feel a lot of HP fans have qualms with the movies because they leave quite a bit out.  I do believe they're right, but it is an obvious neccissity.  I don't plan to address how well an adaption the screenplay is, however, I will mention particular plot holes caused by missing details.

This is the seventh installment of the Harry Potter series, for those who have been living on Io.  As Harry races against time and evil to destroy the Horcruxes, he uncovers the existence of three most powerful objects in the wizarding world: the Deathly Hallows.

38/50

The plot is amazing, and unless you're one of those wingbat nuts that refuses to accept media if its not real, you have to admit it.  It may not have the complexity and human exploration of say Odysseus or The Great Gatsby, being that it is aimed for children, but its not without creativity.  The casting is wonderful, and now after watching Harry Potter for 10 years its hard to imagine the characters as anything but the way they appear in the movie.  I like that the moved to a darker interpertation of the book.  The heightened amount of blues and greens in the shots adds a cold, evil feeling to the film, which I enjoyed.  The nature seetings in the film are also worth noting.  Since, none of the film occured within Hogwarts, and Hogwarts is such a cool looking place, its much appreciated. The only bad thing I could say about the film, is I wish they would have gone into more detail about Dumbledore's brother.  I was a bit lazy, and didn't look up if there's more to come in Part 2, but I feel the plot suffers without these details.  Or atleast, the plot could be enhanced. I recommend it to anyone, granted you have seen the ones leading up to it. into more detail about Dumbledore's brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment