Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Traffic (2000)

Had to wake up and be around the house while some guys came and fixed some stuff in the kitchen.  Since I have to be around the house for most of the day while they work, the movie marathon begins.  My Dad had been talking about Traffic, and how much he loved Benicio's performance recently so when I saw it was playing on AMC, I put it on.  I've seen it twice I think.  One right around when it came out and once a few years ago.  It was pretty good both times and I new it'd been great once again.

Traffic is a fragmented plot profiling the many sides and facets connected in the ebb and flow of drugs across the Mexican border.  It follows a specific few such as A conservative judge is appointed by the President to spearhead America's escalating war against drugs, only to discover that his teenage daughter is an addict.  The wife of a major drug dealer on trial in America, and a corrupt, yet dedicated Mexican cop who is giving information about cartels to the DEA.

43/50


Traffic was among one of the first fragmented plots and therefore must be credited for its originality.  I love fragmented plots.  As long as they're executed well they can be very captivating, carry a lot of details, and create an unexpected ending.  The execution on this film is perfect, and it definitely deserved the academy award.  Steven Soderbergh, in all his films, has great execution.  Sometimes the movies he decides to direct aren't always the best but everything from the music, editing, lighting, acting, is spot on.  I loved the color used in the shots throughout the film.  Specifically the yellow in the Mexican scenes.  The grittiness and impoverished feeling came through and gave that aspect of the plot great character.  Michael Douglass, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Benicio Del Toro were all great and well cast.  I Highly suggest this movie to anyone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment